Infection control in our office is very important to us. To protect our patients and ourselves, we strictly maintain sterilization, cross contamination processes, and universal precautions using standards recommended by several dental organizations. These include the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia and the Canadian Dental Association.
These measures include:
- Disinfectant hand soap
- Gloves and face masks
- Chemical disinfection of countertops and surfaces
- Sterilization of all equipment before every use
- Disposable materials
We sterilize all reusable equipment, including dental hand pieces. We use an autoclave, a device that kills bacteria and viruses by steam, heat and pressure. All of our infection control equipment is maintained regularly and tested on an ongoing basis for efficacy.
Infection controls and universal precautions protect clients and staff alike. Everyone benefits from rigorous infection control — you, your dentist, and the dental team.
Clean sterile water is what patients expect to be used for dental procedures. Did you know that without a proper system dental waterlines can be filled with a biofilm of potentially harmful bacteria?
At Summerland Dental we take pride in our Adec 500 water system for its many sterile features:
1) The water which is used for all dental procedures is sterilized and contained in exchangeable bottles.
2) The dental lines which carry the water to your mouth are flushed and dried daily to prevent biofilm build up.
3) All water lines are flushed with a sterilizing solution each week to further prevent contamination. This system of clean water lets us ensure all our patients that anything we use in your mouth is bacteria free.
The more you know about our daily procedures and policies, the more comfortable you will feel.