Why Regular Denture Maintenance Is Crucial for Oral Health
What Are Dentures and Why Do You Need Them?
They are dental prosthetics designed to replace multiple missing teeth, restoring oral function and aesthetics. Dentures are usually tailored to fit the unique shape of your mouth, comprising artificial teeth mounted on an acrylic or metal base as the supporting structure. Although most dentures are removable, you can liaise with your dentist about getting permanent prosthetics.
Since various dental restorations can replace your lost teeth, dentists only recommend dentures for:
- Patients with more than four missing teeth in a row
- Toothless patients
- Patients with most of their natural teeth missing
- Patients who have weak natural teeth remaining in their jawbones
When you get dentures at Summerland Dental Centre, they do not just replace your lost teeth to improve your smile’s aesthetics. Instead, dentures offer other benefits such as:
- Restored ability to speak clearly, bite into and chew food effectively, improving your diet and overall health.
- Preserving remaining teeth by distributing the forces of biting and chewing more evenly reduces the stress on the remaining teeth.
- Maintaining the natural contours of the face, enhancing the aesthetics of the face, and restoring a more youthful appearance.
The Importance of Routine Denture Cleaning for Optimal Oral Well-being
Routine denture cleaning, both at home and professionally by a dentist in Summerland, is of utmost importance for maintaining dentures’ hygiene, functionality, and longevity. Some key reasons why regular cleaning of dentures is essential are:
- Oral hygiene – regular cleaning removes food substances and prevents harmful microorganisms from building up in the mouth and on your dentures.
- Stain and odor prevention – consumption of certain foods, beverages, or tobacco products can stain dentures. Regular cleaning helps remove surface stains and prevents discoloration. Additionally, cleaning eliminates odor-causing bacteria, keeping dentures fresh and odor-free, benefiting oral health.
- Preserving the health of remaining teeth – maintaining clean dentures prevents the transfer of bacteria from the dentures to your natural teeth and gums.
- Comfort and fit – food particles, plaque, and bacteria can irritate the gums, making wearing dentures uncomfortable. Regular cleaning minimizes these issues for better comfort and optimal functionality.
Why Proper Denture Maintenance Is Key to a Healthy Mouth
Dentures, whether partial or complete, require regular care and attention to ensure oral health and the longevity of the prosthetic. Some reasons why proper denture maintenance treatment in Summerland is essential are:
- Bacterial overgrowth: Dentures can harbor bacteria, plaque, and food particles, just like natural teeth, if not cleaned properly. The outcome may be bad breath, gum irritation, and other oral infections. Regular maintenance of dentures removes these harmful substances and promotes good oral hygiene.
- Gum irritation: Ill-fitting or unclean dentures irritate gums, causing sore spots and inflammation. The discomfort can affect the ability to chew, speak, and wear the dentures comfortably. Therefore, proper denture maintenance should include regular cleaning and ensuring a proper fit.
- Oral infections: Neglected dentures increase the risk of oral infections as bacteria, and fungi accumulate on the surfaces. Over time, you may develop infections such as oral thrush or denture stomatitis. Regular disinfection of dentures minimizes the risk of these infections.
- Impact on denture lifespan: Proper maintenance can extend the lifespan of dentures by preventing stains, premature wear, breakage, or the need for frequent repairs or replacements.
Tips for Proper Denture Maintenance
If you need to learn how to maintain your dentures in good condition, stick to the guidance of the dentist near you. All local dentists provide their patients with detailed instructions for aftercare measures when you leave the dental office. Part of what is entailed in proper care for dentures includes:
- Remove and clean dentures every day using a soft-bristle denture brush or toothbrush specifically designed for dentures.
- Use a mild denture cleaner or a non-abrasive soap.
- Rinse your dentures with water after eating to remove any food particles and debris.
- Soak dentures in a denture-cleaning or mild denture-soaking solution overnight to help remove stains, bacteria, and odor.
- Avoid dropping or damaging dentures. Instead, place a towel or soft surface in the sink when cleaning them to prevent breakage if you accidentally drop them.
- Visit your dentist in Summerland regularly for check-ups and adjustments to ensure a proper fit and address any potential issues.